civil engineering objective type questions
Objective solved questions civil engineering.
Free Solved Civil Engg Objective test
1. The head on a sharp-crested rectangular weir of height 1.6 m and crest length 1.2 m was incorrectly observed to be
0.13 m when it was actually 0.15 m. What was the percentage error in the computed value of flow rate?
2. Consider the following with respect to ‘measurement of stream flow during flood:
l. Timing of the travel of floats released in the stream
2. Use of weir formula, for spillways provided on a dam
3. Calculation of flow through a contracted opening at a bridge
4. Using a current meter
Which of the above is/are reliable and accurate?
(b) 4 only
(c) 3 and 4
(d) 2 and 3
3. What is the most important design parameter used in designing a continuous flow rectangular sedimentation tank for removal of discrete particles?
(a) Length of the tank
(b) Surface overflow rate
(c) Depth of the tank
(D) Temperature of the water to be treated
4. Effluent from a wastewater treatment plant (flow rate = 8640 m3/d, temperature = 25° C) is discharged to a surface stream (flow rate = 1.2 m3/s, temperature = 15° C). What is the temperature of the stream after mixing?
(b) 15.77° C
(c) 20° C
(d) 24.99° C
5.. Match List-I with List-II and select the correct answer using the code given below the Lists:
(Type of impurity) (Harm caused)
A. Excess of nitrates 1. Brackish water
B. Excess of fluorides 2. Goiter
C. Lack of iodides 3. Fragile bones
D. Excess of chlorides 4. . Blue babies
A B C D
(a) 4 2 3 1
(b) 1 2 3 4
(c) 4 3 2 1
(d) 1 3 2 4
6. The concentration of OH- ion in a water sample is measured as 17 mg/L at 25° C. What is the pH of the water sample?
7. Which one of the following types of samples is relevantly employed for the design of wastewater treatment plant?
(a) Grab sample
(b) Composite sample
(c) Integrated sample
(d) Any sample
8. A drain carrying sewage of BOD = 200 mg/L and flow rate of 50 m3/s joins a river whose upstream BOD is 8 mg/L and flow rate is 500 m3/s. Assume immediate and complete mixing of drain with the river. What is the estimated downstream BOD of the river flow?
(a) 20.4 mg/L
(b) 25.4 mg/L
(c) 104.4 mg/L
(d) 70.4 mg/L
9. A 12.5 mL sample of treated wastewater requires 187.5 mL of odor-free distilled water to reduce the odor to a level that is just
perceptible. What is the threshold odor number (TON) for the wastewater sample?
10. Which one of the following parameters is not included in the routine characterization of, solid waste for its physical composition?
(a) Moisture content
(c) Particle size analysis
(d) Energy value
11. Which one of the following processes of water softening requires recarbonation?
(a) Lime-soda ash process
(b) Hydrogen-cation exchanger process
(c) Sodium-cation exchanger process
12. Math List-I with List-II and select the correct answer using the code given below the Lists:
(Water/Wastewater treatment) (Operating problem)
A. Trickling filter 1. Negative head
B. Activated sludge process 2. Fly-breeding
C. Rapid gravity filter 3. Sludge bulking
D. Anaerobic sludge digester 4. pH reduction
A B C D
(a) 4 3 1 2
(b) 2 3 1 4
(c) 4 1 3 2
(d) 2 1 3 4
13. Consider the following treatment process units in a water treatment plant:
Which is the correct sequence of the process units in the water treatment plant?
14. Which one of the following tests of water/ wastewater employs Erichrome Black T as indicator?
(c) Residual chlorine
15. Which of the following pollutants are generally not removed in a sewage treatment plant?
(a) Inorganic suspended solids
(b) Dissolved organic solids
(c) Oil and grease
(d) Dissolved inorganic, solids
16. A clay sample, originally 26 mm thick at a void ratio of 1.22, was subjected to a compressive load. After the clay sample
was completely consolidated, its thickness was measured to be 24 mm. What is the final void ratio?
17. For a sandy soil with soil grains spherical in shape and uniform in size, what is the theoretical void ratio?
18. A soil has liquid limit = 35, plastic limit = 20, shrinkage limit = 10 and natural moisture content = 25%. What will be its liquidity index, plasticity index and shrinkage index?
(a) 0.67, 15 and 25
(b) 0.33, 15 and 10
(c) 0.67, 25 and 15
(d) 0.33, 20 and 15
19. A cohesive soil yields a maximum dry density of 16 kN/m3 during a standard Proctor Compaction test. If the specific gravity is 2.65, what would be its void ratio?
20. Consider the following:
1. Increase in shear strength and bearing capacity
2. Increase in slope stability
3. Decrease in settlement of soil
4. Decrease in permeability
Which of the above with respect to compaction of soil is/are correct?
(a) 1 only
(b) 1 and 2 only
(c) 2 and 3 only
(d) 1, 2, 3 and 4
21. Which one of the following toxic gases has physiological action as asphyxiant?
22. Assuming annual travel for each vehicle to be 20000 km, what is the quantity of NOx produced from 50000 vehicles with emission rate of 2.0 g/km/vehicle?
(a) 1800 tonnes
(b) 1900 tonnes
(c) 2000 tonnes
(d) 2100 tonnes
23. What are the air pollutants responsible for acid rain within and downwind areas of major industrial emissions?
(a) Hydrogen sulfide and oxides of nitrogen
(b) Sulfure dioxide and oxides of nitrogen
(c) Carbon dioxide and hydrogen sulfide
(d) methane and hydrogen sulfide
24. Consider the following air pollutants:
Which of the above air pollutants is/are present in an auto exhaust gas?
(a) 1 only
(b) 1 and 2
(c) 2 and 3
(d) 1, 3 and 4
25. Which one of the following conditions is valid in case of unconfined compression test in comparison to triaxial test?
(a) Minor principal stress = 0
(b) Minor principal stress = 0.5 × major principal stress
(c) Minor principal stress = major principal stress
(d) Major principal stress = 3 × minor principal stress